Volunteer OpportunitiesELCOC Program Overview
BOOK BUDDIES matches volunteers with children to promote reading, writing, and social skills. Buddies will begin with the 2017-2018 school year and you can sign up now to be a Book Buddy for our inaugural first year.
- Buddies receive letters from a 3 or 4-year-old child expressing their interests.
- Buddies purchase a book for the child based on the child’s interest and writes a letter response. (ELCOC coordinates correspondence).
- The exchange takes place 3 times a school year.
- Book Buddies can be done by an individual, civic group or business.
PRESCHOOL AMBASSADORS is an initiative through Orlando Cares, Mayor Buddy Dyer’s Cities of Service. Ambassadors engage families in early literacy activities, increase pre-kindergarten enrollment and support early literacy development in pre-kindergarten programs. Preschool Ambassadors opportunities include:
- Ready Readers read to children in Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten (VPK) classrooms within Orange County to help provide greater exposure to books to support kindergarten readiness.
- Early Literacy Liaisons give training presentations to parents and families about the importance of reading to their children, as well as, teach parents tools on how to read to their children for the most impact. They distribute family literacy toolkits to families to increase early literacy activities in the home. Spanish and English early literacy materials are incorporated in these trainings.
FIVE TO THRIVE FOOD DRIVE ensures our babies will thrive in life, thrive in school and have a lifelong drive to succeed. Volunteers would hold a food drive with items specifically for Infants and Toddlers. This is ideal for groups and families.
PKZ BABY INSTITUTE is designed to help parents build knowledge and skills that result in better parenting which leads to enhanced school readiness outcomes for children. PKZ offers two volunteer opportunities:
- PKZ Administrative assistants help check in volunteers on the first day of classes to ensure a smooth transition into the course.
- PKZ Child Care Assistants would assist the PKZ staff in the child care rooms while parents are in class. A background in child care is highly recommended
SPECIAL EVENT AND PROGRAM support our yearly events and programs.
- First Five Years Gala is our largest friendraising semi-formal event celebrating Orange County champions of early education.
- Destination Kindergarten is an informational series that maps out the importance of the first 2,000 days in a child’s life.
For questions please contact:
Jerry Brady, Volunteer Coordinator
Phone: (407) 377-1224
Fax: (407) 749-0282
Victoria Nammor, Preschool Ambassadors
Phone: (407) 377-1219
Fax: (407) 749-0282